Instagram 2.5.0 update: is it really the end of the Popular Page?
Instagram 2.5.0. So what’s new?
Last night, like every night, I was having “my last look” at Instagram before going to bed (as probably every single Iger does). I suddenly discovered on our Instagramers London @IgersLondon feed a pic mentioning the New Instagram 2.5.0 version available at Appstore.
It caught my attention as the pic said “Goodbye” to “Popular” , welcome to “Discover” (see pic right)
What?!? Instagram without its Pop Page?
At first I wondered if this could be true! Since its beginnings Instagram’s bio-rythm was based around the Pop Page! It gave us specific “social recognition” , or our own “trending topics” also known as “Populars” or the “Pop Page”. This page was the first point of reference for most Igers!
I quickly downloaded the new version of our fav photo-sharing app to find out what it was all about.
- Revamped profile tab (Phil: the app has squarer angles and a new tab bar font)
- Search for users and tags in the Explore tab (Phil: this means you now search for other users and tags on the new “Explore” page not on your profile page)
- Improvements to commenting (Phil: Amongst others, a “wider dialogue space” very similar to Facebook’s)
- User search autocompletes based on people you follow (Phil: Very useful and similar to one of Twitter‘s best features)
- Visual improvements (Phil: Mostly in Profile, Tab Bar, look and feel of angles and fonts. Note too, that in your personal profile if you have thousand followers it will turn to 25k, 30k and you wont be able to knnow the daily increase of your amount of followers)
- Faster (Phil: Probably true as the target of an app is to keep on improving this side that means “servers cost savings too” . Difficult to confirm from a mobile)
- Optionally share likes to Facebook (enable in your Profile > Sharing Settings > Facebook) (Phil: Nice feature quite understandable after Facebook bought Instagram few months ago)
Is it really the End of the Popular Page?
Popular or Explore?